Elena Pinchuk will work over the HIV prevention on the global level together with such members of the Commission as:
- Dr Michelle Bachelet, Former President of Chile;
- Mr Jacques Chirac, Former President of France;
- Ms Vuyiseka Dubula, Secretary-General of the Treatment Action Campaign;
- Dr Mohamed ElBaradei, Nobel Peace Prize Laureate;
- Ms Elena Pinchuk, Ukrainian businesswoman and founder of the Elena Pinchuk ANTIAIDS Foundation;
- Mr Pau Gasol, Spanish professional basketball star;
- Mr Nizan Guanaes, leading Brazilian communications entrepreneur, Chairman of Grupo ABC de Comunicação;
- Mr Chris Hughes, Executive Director of Jumo, International, co-founder of Facebook;
- Mr Magic Johnson, Former basketball star and one of the first sports celebrities to declare his HIV-positive status;
- Ms Irene Khan, Human rights activist and former Secretary-General of Amnesty International;
- Mr Robin Li, Entrepreneur and co-founder of China's most popular independent search engine, Baidu, Inc.;
- Ms Rita Süssmuth, former President of the German Federal Parliament and former Federal Minister for Family Affairs, Women, Youth and Health;
- H.E. Festus Mogae, Former President of Botswana;
- H.E. Jean Ping, Chairman of the African Union;
- Professor Peter Piot, Former Executive Director of UNAIDS and incoming Director of the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine;
- Mr Vladimir Vladimirovich Pozner, celebrated Russian journalist;
- Mr Mechai Viravaidya, Thai politician and activist, famous for popularising condoms in Thailand.
The Commission is co-chaired by Professor Francoise Barré-Sinoussi, Nobel Laureate in Medicine for her role in the discovery of HIV, and Archbishop Emeritus Desmond Tutu, Nobel Peace Price Laureate.
"I am very glad that UN established such an important commission. And this act signifies that nations of the world become really united by the common enemy. The enemy that knows no borders, pays no attention to the sex and age, requires no identification", - Elena Pinchuk said. I am honored to be part of this Commission. I strongly believe that in the world with no vaccine against AIDS the information remains the only remedy to apply in fighting the virus. For me and our team the invitation to join the commission is not about the recognition of what we've done, but mostly acceptance of our approaches and methods we used".
XVIII International AIDS Conference takes place in Vienna on July, 18-23, under the patronage of International AIDS Society. 25 thousands of delegates (including 2 000 of journalists) came from all over the world. It is the biggest in the world specialized conference for experts in HIV/AIDS problem, politician leaders, social activists and people living with HIV. This conference focuses on HIV/AIDS epidemic in East Europe and Central Asia.
For detailed information, please, contact Pavel Piminov, Communications Director, Elena Pinchuk ANTIAIDS Foundation: +380 44 490 4805, [email protected]